24.5.14

Through their eyes

Even if you don't have a medical professional background,
Even if you don't enter university to study,
Even if you don't read any nutrition related magazines or books,
Even if you don't have a chronic disease...

Please put yourself in the person's shoes. See things through the person's eyes. 

Not simply giving information which is not evidence based and not true, while you're not a medical profession person, you don't read nutrition books, you don't read medical books and you do not have a chronic disease. 

____________________________________________________________________________

A couple of weeks ago, a girl whom I am not close to her at all, came out of nowhere to fb-message me about my so-called insulin-injecting-pathetic-diabetes-life (by the way, my life is actually fantastic with insulin keeping me alive)

She approached me and asked me: Mind sharing with me about your situation? I can help you
I am doing perfectly fine. But, I am curious about what kind of help she would like to offer me.

Then she started saying: If you want to give yourself a chance, there is a way to cure your diabetes. We have lots of critically ill patients, all successful stories. 

When I tried explaining to her about there is no cure for diabetes at the moment. More, my T1D is different a bit, and having to inject every day doesn't mean I am a bad type of diabetic (if she has been studying about this). Why can't people understand, why can't they just try to understand before judging me ARGH

Then she came judging again: I am not selling you anything. That's why I am asking you whether you want to give yourself a chance or not? Hepatitis B also no cure, but we have many successful cases.

Hello miss, if I were to judge you, I will straight ask what you're trying to sell in the first place. And who told you that there is no cure for Hepatitis B?! (Luckily that I have learned much from my boss) And you were saying medical books do not tell us everything?! (Those words from your mouth tell me everything is it?)


Few things I would like to clarify:
  1. Having to inject insulin every day does not make me a bad diabetic. Just my beta cells are not making insulin hormone. I am injecting the insulin hormone, I am not injecting a medicine!
  2. Testimonials are not evidence-based. 
  3. There is a cure for Hepatitis B. Please do consult gastroenterologist for further discussion of which evidence-based treatment suits best for you, not by listening to testimonials only!
  4. Hope is important for all of us. Hope keeps us alive. But, do not give false hope which may result in a more terrible consequences.

Seriously, thanks for offering your "help" to me. Through your eyes and words, I have learned that every time I correct a misconception, there will be another person who claimed that she is not selling anything, but spreading this misconception out again. God knows who is the next victim. 

Memes from diabetesdaily.com

No comments:

Post a Comment