27.4.15

Diabetes camp

Actually I should have posted this in December 2014 herherher!

I have never attended any diabetes camps before. I gave my first time to Paediatric Institute, Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL)'s diabetes camp, as a facilitator. Pretty awesome, though it was just a one day camp :)

It was their first time organising this camp too. Activities included:
  • Ice breaking session
  • Personal diabetes experience sharing by a future psychologist (Hui Wen) and a working dietitian (me)
  • Knowing your macro-nutrients
  • Carbohydrates counting
  • Exercise using stretch bands
Photo took by a dietitian friend working in HKL :)
That's me, making friends with those kids. They are the cutest and bravest kids, telling you about their opinions on needles, how do they feel when they are experiencing hypoglycemia, etc. I asked about their feelings during treatments and symptoms experiencing, they said: Mula-mula takut, tapi saya dah boleh buat sekarang *with a smile on their face (I was afraid initially, but now I can do it by myself).

They were very shy. Very shy, but so strong! :)

Photo taken at the Titiwangsa Lake
Took some groupfies with these teens living with Type 1 Diabetes. You won't know how much they're facing everyday, just by looking at their smiles right? :)

Thanks to Dr Ting, all nurses and dietitians for making this to happen. I really enjoyed the sessions and I am sure the kids too had fun! And of course thanks to the dearly Mdm Yoke Lian who recruited me to join in as facilitator :)

Sharing a quote from a friend, Scott K.Johnson who has been living with Type 1 diabetes since 1980:
『Living with diabetes is hard work, but we make it look so easy.』

No comments:

Post a Comment