23.3.16

#002 Maturity

I was diagnosed when I was 17 year-old. I know what is biology, hence I know where the pancreas is located at. I scored well in my mathematics, hence it wasn't hard to learn how and when to inject more/ less.

When I knew that diabetes is a lifetime commitment, the first question that I asked: Why me.

But, if you are a 5 year-old boy with type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at 4 year-old, what's in your mind?

If I am the boy, I would be thinking: "I will get rid of injections when I grow up", "My mom can help me do all the injections, and I will be fine", "What's wrong with not injecting?", "The doctor really talks a lots to my mom, it's so boring here!" etc 


True story #002
The mother almost regret shouting those words to her son, Z on that day. Those words would most probably result in: little Z not wanting to do injections anymore and who cares if there is no injections! However, instead of regret, the mom was stunned.

Kids remain as kids. Z eats slowly, gets distracted easily. 
Games or meals, of course he would say: Games!

Food was served on the dining table already. Z was called by mom to come over and have a meal injection. First call, he ignored. Second call, he thought: I am really not hungry, I want to continue my games play! Third call, with Z's baby sister crying in the background, his mom got frustrated, shouted at him: I will not help you to inject anymore, if you still do not want to come over now! Worrying what reply she might get from her son, but strangely, Z looked panicked. He ran to get his insulin pen case and brought it over to his mom at the dining table, "Mommy, I am here already. Please help me to inject, can you?" 

The mother told me that Z's teacher finds less innocence in him, compared to the other similar-aged children. When it is almost time to serve lunch in the pre-school, he would just walk to his bag pack, take out his glucometer bag. Despite curious children asking, "Why is there blood? Why you have to do this every day?", the boy would just ignore those questions and continue what he has to do. 

Adapted from: www.jantoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment