31.3.14

Confused between Hyper & Hypo


I was in Bangkok for the past four days. Enjoying the very well-equipped 7-11 that they have for almost every 100 meters. Enjoying walking for 10,000 steps every day during that 4 days, as I was travelling on feet, by MRT and BTS only.

On the third night in Bangkok, I and my boyfriend went to the Suan Lum Night Market for dinner and night market shopping. That night we both were having really sore legs because had been walking for the whole day to Siam Paragon and to Pratunam Market. I was worn out, but considered that it was the last night over there, so didn't want to waste the chance and time to experience the atmosphere of the night market in Bangkok!

Diabetes is 24/7. Even when I am on vacation, I still have to work for diabetes. 
Diabetes = Nasty boss

I injected insulin at a corner and begun my food hunting journey at the night market. Didn't eat much, mainly on fruit juices, fruit cuts, Thai-style garlic bread (very oily) and some BBQ chicken. At 10pm, we were about to take MRT back to our hotel. I was feeling so exhausted and leg sore all over. In my mind, I was thinking it must be due to the whole day walking or too much of good food during this travel. I was feeling with much confidence and assurance that "My sugar must be high now, at least >15mmol/L". The kind of bone-tired, worn out, ready to drop feeling were so similar to hyperglycemia. 

I couldn't find any water to wash my hand at that time. Anyhow, Yes or No, better give the sugar a check with uncleaned hands before I leave the night market. So, I poked my little finger to check the sugar, assuming that my little finger will have the least likelihood to have a false reading.

The glucometer read 3.4 mmol/L. 

I was shocked. Suddenly all the tired feelings made sense, although I was having lots of good food and fruits, but I was active! Hmmm wait, or is it because of my uncleaned little finger? From my experience, only plain water can dilute your blood from pricked finger and hence giving you a false reading/a low reading. But my little finger is dry (I wiped it hard on my cloth before I tested),  If my uncleaned little finger had some stains from food or juices, the reading will probably be high, definitely not low. 

Alright, at the end I turned around, walked back to the night market and got myself a half cup of juice and the very oily toasted bread with sugar on it. 

When I got back to the hotel, checked my sugar again, it was 5.0 mmol/L, even after eating toasted bread with sugar. Confirmed that I was confused between Hyper and Hypo just now and thank god that I ate some more food before I left the night market, or else I might be pondering in my "Hypo Wonderland" while on the way back in MRT, believing that I must be real exhausted that day.

Oh ya, I have lost all my photos in my phone because I ignorantly let someone had the chance to steal it. I don't want to repeat the whole sad story again.


Pineapple bowl!

Let me open the cover of bowl

Tasty Thai Pineapple Fried Rice!

Although the pineapple bowl looked big, but actually half of the pineapple is still pineapple, they only put in about 1 medium bowl of fried rice, accompanied with chicken floss, shrimps and sliced Chinese sausages. My fibre of the meal came from pineapple only :p The fried rice stayed warm until the last bite because of this amazing bowl! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment